LIFE SEC Adapt – Improving Self-Sustainable Energy Communities through the Covenant of Mayors initiative by planning a Climate Change Adaptation Strategy LIFE14 CCA/IT/000316
Duration of the project:
1.9. 2015. – 31.12. 2018.
Sviluppo Marche SpA, Italy
Istria County; Croatia, IDA (Istrian Development Agency); Croatia, City of Pula; Croatia, City of Buzet; Croatia, City of Rovinj; Croatia, City of Pazin; Croatia, City of Labin; Croatia, City of Porec; Croatia, Comune di Ascoli Piceno; Italy, Comune di Ancona; Italy, Comune di Pesaro; Italy, Comune di Jesi; Italy, Comune di Offida; Italy, Comune di Macerata; Italy, Comune di Senigallia; Italy, Comune di Fermo; Italy
Web page: LIFE SEC Adap
The purpose of the LIFE SEC Adapt project is to contribute to increasing the capacity for resilience to climate change and to facilitate the transition to a low-carbon and resource-efficient economy in European urban areas.
Mitigation measures are needed to create sustainable conditions that will allow local authorities to adapt to climate change, actively participate in and sign the Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy (which integrates the Mayors Adapt initiative) and integrate climate goals into local policies and practices.
The LIFE SEC Adapt project also aims to adopt and implement the Sustainable Energy Communities (SEC) model to support the improvement of climate governance, as an example of good practice for developing an excellent climate change adaptation process in local governments under the coordination of regional authorities and development agencies. at the regional level.
Specific objectives of the project:
- raise awareness among local and regional decision-makers about the importance and urgency of adopting a climate change adaptation strategy and limit or avoid further natural, social and economic costs by developing the capacity building process of 20 municipalities in regions and Member States (Italy, Croatia, Greece, Spain) through the exchange of good practice and lessons learned from more experienced EU municipalities;
- contribute to reducing the ignorance of local and regional administrators about the vulnerabilities and risks of local areas, thus enabling the development of climate change adaptation strategies, and planning to prevent and respond to extreme weather events in the short term and reduce social, economic and environmental impacts in the long run;
- signing and adoption of climate change adaptation strategies and plans by 17 beneficiary cities under the new Integrated Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy (currently including the Mayor’s Adaptation initiative), through the integration of existing sustainable energy action plans (SEAPs);
- setting up and testing the Energy and Climate Monitoring System (SEC_Adapt monitoring tool) to continuously monitor progress in reduction and adaptation actions and to redirect the objectives of the climate and energy strategy of the cities involved, as well as a tool to support phase monitoring within the Mayor’s Adaptation and Agreement initiatives the mayor;
- facilitate the adoption of adaptation and reduction policies and actions at cross-border level through the development of common policy recommendations for the territorial coherent implementation of climate and energy strategies.