DRAVA LIFE – Integrated River Management LIFE14/NAT/HR/000115
Duration of the project:
1.12.2015. – 30.11.2020.
EU co – financing:
WWF Austria, Public institution for the management of protected natural values in the area of Koprivnica-Križevci County, Public institution for the management of protected areas and the ecological network Virovitica-Podravina County, Association for Nature and Environmental Protection Green Osijek, Public institution for the management of protected natural values in the area of Varaždin County.
Web page: DRAVA LIFE
The aim of the project is to improve the ecological condition of the Drava River and its ecosystems and to improve flood defenses along the 300 km long course of the Drava River in Croatia. Through the cooperation of Hrvatske vode, county institutions for water management and nature protection, as well as non-governmental organizations, key natural features of the Drava River ecosystem will be restored by opening and creating new tributaries, removing and adapting embankments and other water structures and preserving retention areas and natural steep banks. rivers. These interventions will greatly benefit a number of endangered habitats and species in Natura 2000 areas.
Specific objectives of the project:
- an increase in pristine, dynamic riverine habitats along the Drava
- conservation and creation of new flood waters and improvement of water level dynamics, with emphasis on “re-dynamization” of side tributaries for the benefit of habitats and species
- reducing human disturbance of river bird species and raising awareness of the Natura 2000 habitat network to ensure local support
- Provide 40.8 ha of new land for river revitalization
- 13 ha of new dynamic river zone with gravel, sand and muddy shore and phases of succession of floodplain forests
- Preservation of 1,000 m of dynamic river bank
- 9 km of revitalized backwaters and 2.6 km of newly created ones
- Improvement of 306 ha of lowland forests
- Increasing the population of nesting birds