LIFE CONTRA Ailanthus – Establishment of control of the invasive alien species Ailanthus altissima in Croatia LIFE19 NAT/HR/001070
Duration of the project:
1.10.2020. – 1.4.2025.
EU co – financing:
Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development of the Republic of Croatia
Public institution for management of protected parts of nature of Dubrovnik-Neretva County; Public Institution “Krka National Park”; Vrtlar d.o.o., Croatia
Web page: LIFE CONTRA Ailanthus
Pajasen (Ailanthus altissima) is a tree native to East Asia, which has been planted around the world for horticulture since the 18th century, and is today considered one of the most invasive plant species in Europe. The LIFE CONTRA Ailanthus project plans to establish control over the invasive pajasen tree in two areas of the ecological network of the Republic of Croatia in the Mediterranean region and in cities with a historic core. The main expected results of the project are the improvement of the conservation status of Natura 2000 habitat types, the preservation of cultural heritage, the prevention of further spread of the invasive alien species, and the development of a national protocol. Additional goals are to improve the capacity to manage invasive alien species and to raise public awareness of the negative impact of invasive alien species at the national level.
- Establishment of belt control in Natura 2000 areas
- Prevention of further introduction and spread of pajasen
- Development of a national protocol
- Improvement of conservation status for target and priority habitat types in two areas of the ecological network (HR2000918 Wider area of NP Krka and HR2001364 SE part of Pelješac).
- Reduction of new inputs and spreads through the removal of belts along the expansion corridors (roads) and from the sources of expansion (urban environment), and through raising public awareness of the negative impact of invasive foreign plants.
- Improving the preservation of cultural heritage in cities with historical cores (Ston, Mali Ston and Dubrovnik), through the removal of pajasen.
- Increasing the capacity to manage invasive alien species through technical belt removal workshops.
- Publication of the national protocol.
- Establishment of the Early Detection and Rapid Response System (EDRR) for the control of invasive alien species.
- Increased awareness and knowledge of Croatian citizens about the invasive tree pajasen and other invasive alien species.